What is personal information?
Personal information includes any information or opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. The types of personal information which Excellence collects may include an individual's name, phone number, email address, address, nationality, date of birth, and educational history. Due to the nature of the services provided by Excellence, some of the information we collect may be sensitive information, including details about an individual's race, ethnic background or religion. It is not common practice for Excellence to collect information about an individual's medical history, political opinion, sexual preference or criminal record, unless such information is required in order to process a student's application for admission, enrolment and education or for any immigration purpose. Excellence will only collect sensitive information with an individual's consent.
Personal information may be collected by Excellence in a number of circumstances, including when an individual:
• Lodges an enquiry through Excellence's online enquiry service;
• Applies for admission to a Excellence facility;
• Registers or enrolls for a class or course offered by Excellence;
• Attends a seminar; or
• Applies for employment with us.
We generally collect personal information directly from the individual concerned, although there may be occasions when information is collected from third parties, such as a family member who contacts us on the individual's behalf, from our contractors who supply services to us, through our partner institutions or from a publicly maintained record. If an individual does not provide the information requested by us, we may not be able to provide them with our services.
What other information do we collect?
• When you look at the Excellence website, our computers record your visit and log the following anonymous information for statistical purposes:
• The Internet Protocol address from which we receive the request
• The date and time our server received the request
• The pages, documents and files you requested
• The address of the resource which provided the link followed, if any, to Excellence website
• The type of browser and, in some cases, the operating system used
• In some cases, data you send to our website from web forms (e.g. search terms).
What do we do with the information?
• Excellence collects personal information for the primary purpose of providing our services to individuals. We may also collect personal information for purposes related or ancillary to the primary purpose of collection, including:
• Administering and managing the services we provide to prospective and current students, including admissions, enrolment, education, billing, maintaining our information technology systems, customer service and data storage;
• Marketing the services of Excellence and its related entities to prospective, current and past students;
• Hiring and managing employees and contractors;
• Planning, monitoring, evaluating and improving our services, including conducting market research and surveys and assessing customer satisfaction; and
• Otherwise communicating with you.
Excellence will only use and disclose personal information about you for the purposes stated above, where we have your consent to do so, or as otherwise required or authorized by law. For example, Excellence centers may need to share student information with partner institutions in the course of providing education classes on the institution's campuses.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us using your information to contact you on an ongoing basis in order to provide you with marketing information we think would be of interest to you, including by mail, email, SMS and telephone. Excellence may retain other companies and contractors to provide services for us, including entities located outside Bangladesh, who will need to have access to your personal information to perform their obligations. Excellence may also use a cloud-based service to store and process personal information. By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us disclosing your information to entities located outside Bangladesh for these purposes, as well as Excellence' related companies to allow those companies to use and disclose that information for the primary and ancillary purposes for which Excellence collects personal information stated above.
Only a limited number of staff has access to the anonymous information collected via the Excellence website. The information is collated for analysis. It is then evaluated and published in reports that show Excellence usage patterns and identify popular areas of the website. This helps us to improve and develop the website and its services.
For security reasons, Excellence uses software programs to monitor network traffic and identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Minors and privacy
When Excellence has knowledge that a person under aged, as per our law, is providing personal information to Excellence, we require the person to obtain parental permission and consent for you to provide Excellence with your personal information.
What won't we do with the information?
Excellence will not disclose or externally publish personal information to third parties who are not related to Excellence with a view to allowing them to direct market their products or services without the relevant individual's consent.
No attempt will be made to identify individual users of the Excellence website except in the unlikely event of an investigation or legal proceedings, or where otherwise permitted to do so under the Privacy Act.
For example, Excellence will gather more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
• Unauthorized attempts to access files other than those published on Excellence website
• Unauthorized tampering or interference with files published on Excellence website
• Unauthorized attempts by other websites to index the contents of Excellence website
• Attempts to intercept messages of other Excellence website users
• Communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
• Attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the Excellence web server, breach the laws of the
Commonwealth or a state of Australia, or interfere with the use of the Excellence website by other users.
Is data stored in a secure way?
Excellence has security measures in place to protect against loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control, as required by law and generally accepted industry standards. However, no system is 100% secure and to the extent permitted by law, we exclude any liability in contract, tort or otherwise for any security breach.
Do we publish personal information on our website?
Excellence will only publish personal information on our website if it has been collected for this purpose with your knowledge and consent.
When giving such consent you should be aware that information published on our website is accessible to millions of users from all over the world, that it will be indexed by search engines and that it may be copied and used by any web user. This means that once the information is published on our website, Excellence will have no control over its subsequent use and disclosure.
Names and email addresses of Excellence staff appearing on our website are provided with their knowledge and consent.
Under no circumstances will Excellence sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
What about external links?
This site may pr may not contain links to other sites. Excellence is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.
Can I access and correct my personal information?
You have the right to access your personal information held by Excellence on request, subject to limited exceptions in the Privacy Act. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time. We may recover from you our reasonable cost of providing you with access.
Excellence will take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Should you wish to access or amend this information, or complain about a breach of the Privacy Act, please contact Excellence's Privacy Contact Officer as follows: